top of page


Death Certificates

Why do I need a Certified Copy?

A certified copy of a death certificate is required when your loved one has any of the following: Living Trusts, Insurance policies , Investments (including Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, and Certificates of Deposit), Banks, Deeds, Tax purposes, Pensions/Benefits.


Where do I obtain a Certified Copy?

There are two ways to obtain a certified copy of a death certificate. Certified copies are $24.00 each. Death Certificate prices are subject to change without notice. You may walk in to this location:

County of Health and Human Services Agency Office of Vital Records

5560 Overland Avenue Suite 130

San Diego, CA 92123

(619) 692-5733

Or print an order form (with instructions) from the website:


Social Security

How does it help families?

Social Security survivors benefits help ease the financial burden that follows a worker's death. Almost all children under age 18 will get monthly benefits if a working parent dies. Other family members may be eligible for benefits too.


Who is Eligible for benefits?

Under special circumstances, children, widows, widowers, divorced wives or husbands, and/or parents may be eligible for monthly benefits. Please refer to the phone number provided below.


A special one-time payment

The one-time lump-sum death payment of $225 is payable to:

A surviving spouse if he or she was living with the deceased; or, if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased person's record; or

If there is no surviving spouse, a child who is eligible for benefits on the deceased person's record in the month of death.

To file for the benefit, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY-1800-325-0778) they answer specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. They provide information by automated phone service 24 hours a day. You may also check their website at  for frequently asked questions.


Veteran's Benefits

Are you eligible?

If you wish to file a claim for any benefits that may be available for the veteran we have listed below the address and telephone number of the Veteran's Administration office. You may also check their website at for information.

Regional Veteran's Affairs Burial Specialist

8810 Rio San Diego Dr.

San Diego, CA 92108


You will need: The Veteran's separation papers or discharge (DD-214) VA form 21-530

Statement of charges for funeral service

Copy of Death Certificate

bottom of page